Thursday, May 16, 2013

Beauty in the Breakdown by Natalie Baird


** 1 STAR OF 5 **

I’m going to try and review this book.  Try being the word here.  I really don’t even know what to say.  There aren’t really any spoilers.  Wow…I’m speechless and not in a good way.  This book gave me whiplash…seriously.  I wasn’t happen with the way the book was written.  I never connected with either character.  Let me try to break it down.

Jackson is a rock star.  He’s good looking and knows it.  Tattoos and the works.  Black hair, built.  You name it and he’s got it.  He’s got some emotional baggage that I’m not even gonna get into.  Apparently he feels he has to make something of himself because his mother died during childbirth.  He treats Alexa like crap. 

Alexa is a music journalist.  She’s naive and thinks rather highly of herself in my opinion.  She lets Jackson treat her badly and keeps running back for more.  She falls in love so quickly that it’s just not believable even by a romance book’s standards.  If he had treated me the way he treated her.  I would have had my butt on a plane headed home…end of story.

They meet in a bar and he wants her to write a story about what he’s really like (though my opinion of him hasn’t really changed.  I just don’t like him.)  They hang out before they leave for his European tour and she gets trashed to the point of lying in a coat closet at a club singing songs by Madonna.  Keep in mind, this is only the second time she’s met him.  She sets up rules about no advances and not getting hurt on the ride to the club but it all over him on the way back.  He doesn’t sleep with her because she’s drunk and I have to give him credit for that. 

This book started out ok.  I was interested in the beginning.  I still am, only in that “train wreck…can’t turn away” way.  Once they make it to London, he continues to treat her badly or just flat out ignore her.  I don’t even see what the point in having her there is honestly.  His band mate holds her down on the couch and she’s into it.  (It started out playful but then turned into sexual with this guy) All of a sudden Jackson is there and screaming at the guy and her because he’s mad.  WHAT?!  I didn’t even think he liked her at that point!  Why would he be mad?

She catches him off guard at the hotel and he ends up telling her that he is interested in her and they sleep together.  The sex scene was ok, nothing outrageously sexy, but ok.  I just can’t get over how hot and cold these two are with each other.  How can you pretend to hate someone and treat them like a groupie and the next minute you’re telling them soul searching secrets and making love?  It just doesn’t make sense to me. 

My body dissolved into a collection of blissfully light cells, transported by this man’s touch, freed by his love.

What love?  He hasn’t even acted like he loved her or hasn’t even told her he loves her? 

Anyway, after their roll in the sheets his ex-girlfriend shows up.  Everything begins to go south and when she asks Jackson for a minute alone and he agrees, Alexa leaves the hotel room.  His ex has no intention of letting Alexa take the position of girlfriend and Jackson doesn’t seem to have a back bone so he just allows it. On the plane to their next stop Alexa takes him to the bedroom for an interview.  He explains why he’s allowing his ex to be there.  I hate to admit it but I actually do feel a little sorry for him.  The man still needs to grow a pair and send this woman packing though.  At this point he does seem to actually care for Alexa but he will ruin it if he doesn’t fix this problem and soon.  His ex is CRAZY!  Like insane crazy.  The book drags on and she leaves when he won’t get rid of her.  Finally he hears a conversation between Alexa and his ex and kicks her to the curb.

They finally tell each other they love each other and the books end with us finding out she is moving in with him.  That’s it.

I’m sorry but this book just didn’t do it for me.  I feel like I wasted my time when I could have been reading 
something else.  I hate to say that I hate to give negative reviews but that’s just the way I feel.  I’m gonna give it 1 star simply because I know the author put a lot of work into it.

Here are my Jackson/Alexa

   





Quotes:

"God, Alexa.  Is your mind permanently stuck in the gutter?"
"Yes," I responded, "Yes, I fear it might be."

 “Alexa. I’m so glad that you’ve stumbled into my life. I’ve never met another woman like you, and I don’t suppose I ever will. And to continue our conversation from earlier this afternoon...I love you too.