Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lush by Lauren Dane

* 4 Stars out of 5 **

Beautiful tattooed rock star with a big heart...what's not to love?!  But then you add in the factor that he's a drummer!!  Swoon worthy!

This was a good book.  I enjoyed it though it could get a little long in places.  It wasn't something that I couldn't put down but I did like the plot and the characters.  I loved the writing style but then I like a lot of Lauren Dane's books.  One thing that was different for me was that I started this series with this book.  I spent a lot of time wanting to read about Cal and Jules and their story so I'm probably gonna read that one next.  This book was funny.  I loved Mary's parents and Damien's brothers.


“I’m so full. Like to-the-brim, I-need-to-unbutton-my-jeans-and-take-a-nap full.”

So Mary owns her own food business.  She's a caterer and she holds a supper club a few times a month.  She's smart and witty.  She has a strong love for her family and friends and she is very loyal to them.  One thing I didn't like about her was the way she treated them when they were trying to protect her.  She could be just plain ugly to them at times.

Damien (love the name!) is a drummer for a band.  He's the typical rock star.  He has tattoos and his nipple is pierced.  He once loved the lifestyle as well but has grown tired of it.  He loves his family and is very close to his brothers.  He lives on a farm when he isn't own the road.

Together they make an explosive pair.  He likes it that she doesn't just bow down to him and she isn't just after his money.  They met at her best friend's wedding rehearsal.  They begin a series of nights together over a couple of months.  She tells herself that it's just fun and she can walk away at any time.  It never crosses her mind that it's so much more than that.  He knew from the moment he met her that it was different with her.  He realizes he's in love with her long before she does.  He begins to push for more and she's resistant at first but eventually gives in.

There isn't a lot to spoil with this story.  It's pretty much boy meets girl and they fall for each other.  Because he's a rock star they have issues with the press.  The only major issue is a picture that surfaces of him with another woman (an ex) at a party in New York.  She sees the picture and takes off, blocks his number and refuses to see him.  I don't know what she thought he would do but it didn't seem to cross her mind that he would hop on a plane and come after her.  It should have considering he already came and went as he pleased.  He explains that it wasn't as it looked and of course she forgives him.  He ends up proposing during a show at the end.

It was a good book and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves rock stars, tattoos, an easy HEA...and demon pigs ;)

This is my Damien/Mary
      

Favorite quotes/lines


“Emergency kit? God, I’m starting to wonder if our mothers being together in the same place might rip a hole in the space-time continuum.”


“I don’t see why a little tiny scoop is a problem.”
 “Because you have Doritos in your shed. Don’t think I don’t know.”
(her parents...I want my marriage to be like this when we've been married 30 years lol)


“Are you sucking in your cheeks? Mary, look at your father pretending to be scrawny to get some ice cream. I hope it hits the spot as it clogs your arteries and kills you."