Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Rock the Heart by Michelle A. Valentine

** 5 out of 5 Stars **

**HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD **

For the last four years, good girl Lane has regretted breaking up with Noel Falcon. She thought she was sensible when she told him his dreams of being a rock star would get him nowhere, but now that he's a rock god and her career is stagnant, she realizes just how wrong she was. When Noel hires the marketing company where Lane is an intern, she’s forced to see him again. If she wants to land her dream job as executive within the company, she has to win him over and secure his account. Too bad Noel is still pissed at her for breaking his heart.

When Lane’s company flies her to a Black Falcon concert to gain Noel’s attention, emotions run high the moment she sees him and realizes she’s far from over him. But Noel’s countless trysts with groupies and his cocky attitude make Lane believe he isn’t the same guy she once loved—now he seems to only want her body. Then after Lane discloses she needs him to procure a job, Noel proves he’s a changed man by forcing her to go on the road with him in order to get it.



My Review...
After Lane reluctantly takes Noel up on his offer, she becomes willing to do whatever it takes to keep him satisfied, even if it means succumbing to his seductive ways. Lane soon finds deception is a dangerous game and she’s not the only one playing.
I love rock star romances and this book was no exception.  This book had it all.  Great writing style.  I didn't know what to expect since this is my first book by this author.  I was really impressed.  This book had me from the very beginning.  I loved the story line.  It kind of reminded me of The Mighty Storm but since I love that book I was fine with it.  It had great romance, hot and steamy love scenes, great secondary character stories and I loved Noel.  The only problem I had with this book was, at times, Lane could really get on my nerves.

Lanie is an intern at an advertising company.  The company gets a client that happens to be a rock band in which the lead singer is no other than her high school sweetheart.  She broke up with him because she wanted him to give up his dreams of being a rock star and go to college with her.  She travels to his concert and I can't say he was happy to see her.


“This next song goes out to the girl who shredded my heart without hesitation back in high school. It’s called Ball Busting Bitch, and Lanie, this one’s for you.”

I fell in love with Noel at that moment.  He was still angry.  It's been 4 years since their break up and he's still not over.  The opposite of love isn't hate after all, it's indifference.  It doesn't take long to realize it's all a show.  Their reunion doesn't go well and she goes back to work expecting to be fired but he takes matters into his own hands and she ends up with a job plus going on tour with him.

She goes on his tour and demands that they maintain a business relationship.  There is a ton of sexual chemistry between them.  You know it's only going to be a matter of time before she gives into him, I mean how long can you sleep beside someone without giving into temptation.  Especially when you realize that you're still in love with him and he makes it known he's still in love with you.


“I’m still crazy over you. I know it’s been a while, but it feels like just yesterday when you walked out of my life. When you left me, I was so empty. There was this huge, gaping hole in my heart that no one could fill. I tried to get over you. I really did, but you were always there. Every woman I kissed was you.”

It's was only a matter of time but she finally gave in.  Everything seems to be going well.  He makes it known as does she that this isn't a one time thing and it's not just about sex.  He wants her back in every way, so they start down the relationship path again, trying to get it right this time.  That's all good but it's obvious something is going on and he's got a secret. He and his band mate can't stand each other when they were best friends months before.  Riff (the band mate) keeps trying to warn her about Noel. I figured it out pretty quickly.

** HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD **

There was a point in the book when some pictures of Noel and Lane went online of them together and he made a big deal about it and ran outside to use his phone.  She caught him arguing with someone on the phone.  I said then, "he's got a girlfriend."  I hoped I wasn't right but as these things go, sadly I was.

So it turns out that Noel got really drunk after a night of heavy partying and slept with Riff's girlfriend.  She turns out  to be pregnant with Noel's baby.  She finds out when Riff tells her when Noel has to leave for the night.  To make a long story short, she leaves only to find out that she can't because of her contract with her job.  He uses it to keep her around.

We find out no too long after the huge twist that the baby actually belongs to Noel's bodyguard and they blamed it on Noel so that the body guard could keep his job.  She still leaves but quits her job and goes back with the intentions of trying to talk him into taking her back.  The ending is sweet.  She doesn't have to talk him into anything.  He sees her and that's all it takes.


"This song goes out to the girl who is my everything. I’m not an easy man to love, and music is about the best way I know how to express my feelings to her."

I LOVED THE ENDING.  This was a great book.  I would recommend it to anyone who loves rock star romances, Thoughtless, Backstage Bass or The Mighty Storm.

My Noel/Lane
     

Favorite quotes...


"You’re my heart, Lane. You’re my everything.”