Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Marriage Bargain by Jennifer Probst

 ** 4 of 5 Stars **

** SPOILERS AHEAD **

The Marriage Bargain is a pretty cut and dried book.  It was good and sweet.  I enjoyed it.  The writing style was great and I loved the characters.  I wasn't expecting it to be funny but it actually was.  I pretty much knew how it was gonna go from the beginning.  I would recommend it for anyone looking for a short, and sweet read.

So Nick needs to find a wife and quickly.  He can't retain full ownership of the business that he has dreamed of owning unless her marries.  Alexa needs money to save her family's home and she see this marriage as her only way.  The agree to some terms and sign a contract.


1.  It will last 1 year and they will walk away
2.  No family functions
3.  No pets
4.  Must be able to trust each other
5.  No sex...between them or with anyone outside the marriage will it's in effect.

This is a strictly business arrangement   He isn't looking for love, a family, or a relationship.  She is his sister's best friend.  The deal seems perfect.  They were pretty much all over each other on their wedding night and I could see where it was headed.  Within weeks they were in bed together.  It took them 5 months and they were both madly in love with each other...of course they refused to believe it.

**SPOILER AHEAD**

Alexa finds out that she is pregnant.  Nick assumes she did it on purpose and she leaves.  He, being a man, over-reacted and then had an epiphany   In the end he accepts that she really does love him and that he loves her.  He tells her he loves her, and that he does want her and the baby forever.  It has a sweet HEA.

So like I said...cut and dried.  No twists and turns.  The pregnancy wasn't even really a surprise.  I rated it 4 stars simply because I prefer a book with a little more "meat" I guess you could say.  I liked the story don't get me wrong but it was short and it just didn't veer from course a lot.

My Nick/Alexa

         

Favorite Quotes

“It’s always been you.” He paused as if to be sure she heard and understood the words. Intensity gleamed within amber depths. He gripped her fingers, as if trying to speak beyond words. 
“And it will always be you.”


“I love you, Alexa. I want you and I want our baby. I want this ridiculous hound dog because I've grown to love him, too. I also figured out what I don't want. I don't want to live my life without you. I don't want to be alone anymore. And I don't want to believe I deserve not to have you. And I swear to God, I'll spend the rest of my life making this up to you. - Nicholas Ryan”