Tuesday, May 14, 2013

True Love Story by Willow Aster


**5 BRILLIANT, AMAZING, EMOTIONAL STARS out of 5!!!

**WARNING!!  MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!!**

Oh wow what a story!  I was completely blown away!  I happened upon this story when I was going through my TBR list on my kindle.  It looked promising so I dove right in.  I was hooked on page one and it wouldn't release me until the very last sentence.  It had everything, amazing writing style, characters that I love/hate, great side stories, intense story plot. You name it and it was there! It took me on an emotional roller coaster ride and refused to let me go. This book isn't for the faint at heart and it leaves you guessing. I was getting ready to throw my kindle at the 97% mark! I knew what would happen but I was scared there for a few minutes. 

It has been a year, two months, and seventeen days since I last saw him. Two years, ten months, and five days since he broke my heart—well, since I knew that he had broken my heart. Technically, he began breaking my heart the moment I met him, five years, eleven months, and one day ago…Ian Sterling is oblivious to the fact that our lives are going to crash in… five, four, three, two…

This book starts in the present, then moves to the past and stays there until we get to the end.  This was hard for me because the romantic in me demanded that I flip to the back and see where their story ended.  I gritted my teeth and read on and I wasn't disappointed. 

Ian is a rock star.  He spends his life traveling and doesn't want a relationship.  The first time he meets Sparrow he knows things are about to change.  From that moment on he wants to know her but he isn't willing to give up his life.  They begin a 5 year on and off romance.  The meet at a mutual family friend’s dinner.  They openly talk and flirt in front of her boyfriend and before we know it that relationship is over. 

She moves to New York with her best friend and doesn't speak to him again until their families vacation together for the holidays.  They share their first kiss her and their first date.  Then once again it’s months before they see each other again.  Honestly it’s the perfect relationship.  He sees her when he’s in town but they aren't together, together if you know what I mean. 

She meets another famous guy named Asher.  This guy wants her but she just doesn't see it like that.  They become friends and Ian gets wind of it.  He doesn't tell her it bothers him until later on but nothing’s really done about it at the time.  I hated Asher.  I could see him for what he was.  To make a long story short Asher takes her out one night and she gets drunk.  He takes advantage of the situation and has sex with her once she passes out.  She was a virgin so the emotions she experiences were off the charts.  I felt horrible for her.  Once Ian finds out he almost kills him.  He beats him within an inch of his life and puts him in the hospital.  All this is happening over a period of time.

At some point they decide to give it a go and actually start a relationship.  Its long distance but he makes it a point to see her as often as he can.  They fall in love (pretty sure they were already there) the first time they make love is on a house boat that he takes her to for a little vacation.  They spend several days just wrapped up in each other and everything is perfect.  He finally proposes and she accepts.  I was in heaven at this point.  I thought this was going to be the perfect love story.  WRONG!! 

***MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!!!***

At the 75% mark everything starts falling apart.  I actually cried.  Sparrow has a dream about Ian and Lilah.  (Lilah is the wife of his cousin.  His cousin is the mutual friend they met through.)  In this dream she sees him having an affair.  She wakes up and calls him, mostly to just brush the dream off until she instantly knows it’s real so she asks him.

An island of single words strewn together that is going to ruin my entire life. I already know, without him saying a thing, that this will change everything. “What do you want to know?” he whispers. “I want to know everything. Start from the beginning.”  “Are you having an affair with her?” “No,” he says. “Have you had an affair with her?” He pauses and his voice cracks as he says, “Yes.”

My world fell out from under me.  It turns out he has been sleeping with this woman since he and Sparrow began dating, the last time being right after they were engaged.  He did stop the affair when he realized he was going to screw up the best thing that had ever happened to him.  At this point it’s way too late though.  She leaves him and they are apart for so long.  He doesn't give up though.  He writes her letters almost every day for a year.  Once she’s finally had enough and her heart can’t handle anymore she writes him back and tells him she can’t handle it anymore so he sends one more letter 4 months later.  He tells her that he’ll always love her but he is going to move on and let her live her life.  He even started dating someone.  Throughout all this she hates the letters but doesn't want them to stop either.  She can’t get over him.  He’s all she thinks about but she can’t go back to him.  The night before she runs into him in the airport she is crying in bed looking at old photos of them together.

Fast forward to the present.  At the beginning of the book where they meet up again, they are both about to board the same flight.  They end up being seated in the seats next to each other and staying at the same hotel.  He sees it as a sign and tells her so.  (At this point I was ready for her to forgive him.  Cheating or no, any man who went to the point of getting her back that he had deserves a second chance.)  To make a long story short, she is more open to him now and they have dinner followed by mind blowing sex and hours and hours of talking following.  She still hasn't made a decision on taking him back but you know its coming.  It’s the end of the book here and I think there was like 2% left and I was scared. 

“Tell me you don’t still love me, Sparrow, and I won’t touch you. Tell me you don’t still need me, that your body doesn't still ache for mine. Tell me,”
“ Aren't you worn out from running?”
“I don’t want to live without you another day. I’m begging you for another chance.  Please.”

Yeah I was bawling at this point.  My heart was completely broken and I was pretty sure I wasn't ever going to be the same.  I kept thinking…put that poor man out of his misery!  You know you love him.  He screwed up, he knows it and it won’t happen again.  TAKE HIM BACK!!! 
At her best friend’s wedding she finally FINALLY realizes he’s what she wants.  There is an epilogue following.  She’s married to him.  She married him 3 months after her friend’s wedding and they are living on his tour bus.  At the very end she tells him she’s pregnant and he cries :’)
The only thing I wanted from this book that I didn't get was at the end.  I feel like there should be another book.  I wanted to see what their life is like when they are finally able to be together all the time since they spent most of their relationship apart.

Way to go Willow Aster!  Amazing book and I look forward to many many others from this author!

My Ian and Sparrow...

            

Favorite lines…
“Aren’t you worn out from running?” His lips follow a tear down my neck, and then he brushes my face with his hand. “I don’t want to live without you another day. I’m begging you for another chance. Please.” 
“Love is enough.
Love does conquer all.
Love really does always protect, trust, hope, persevere...
I'd even go as far as saying that love never fails. I finally believe that.”