Sunday, June 23, 2013

More Than Friends by Jess Dee

** 1 out of 5 Stars **

**WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD**

He was her best friend until he became her fantasy.

Lucy Lawson's got it bad. Bad as in stunned speechless by the situation she's in, by the feelings sitting on her chest, ready to explode. She's in love with her best friend.

Problem is, telling Sebastian Blackford could destroy the best thing in her life, but the longer she keeps her feelings under wraps, the stronger the need to spill her secret.

The last thing Seb suspects is that his best mate is madly, wildly in love with him, or that he's the star of her seriously dirty fantasies. Worse, he's just started seeing someone he'd like to see again and Lucy knows it.

So why does her confession hit him like a runaway train? And why can't he get her explicit description of her fantasies out of his mind? They've never been more than friends, but now that he knows how Lucy feels, everything is out of whack.

Seb figures it's up to him to get their relationship back on track. He'll do it too, just as soon as he establishes which track is the right one.

This is a novella so it’s super short.  I’m speechless…and not in a good way.  I didn’t connect with the characters at all.  I can’t even remember their names half the time.  The writing style was good and the book is easy to follow but it just isn’t for me.  Seb disturbed me.  I just can’t get over it.  I was literally at a loss when I finished…

Lucy is in love with her best friend.  It’s a surprise to her since it came out of nowhere.  They go to dinner and she makes a fool of herself when she pretty much just blurts it that she’s in love with him.  She thought or hoped rather that he would return the feeling.  He doesn’t feel that way about her and he’s just started seeing someone else.   After minutes of staring at each other she takes off.  He doesn’t feel that way about her but yet he can’t get up from the table unless he embarrasses himself. 

He goes to her apartment and refuses to leave knowing that if he does she will cut him out of her life as her way of dealing with the rejection.  She’s screaming at him and they end up in her bathroom.  He gives her a full description of what he can see her doing to herself.  Things go from in his head to hot and heavy against the bathroom wall.  He’s almost wild about it and a little on the kinky side.

She gets upset after the fact and is crying and he doesn’t know why he did what he did.  I think the guy seriously lost his head for a minute.  For someone who isn’t into her like that and only wants to be friends, he sure did blow that out of the water.  After listening to him go on and on about what he loves about her but still telling her he has no clue if he feels anything other than attraction she continues what he started.  I’m so confused!

I don’t like where this is headed.  He’s turned on and he wants her but she’s in love with him and he’s all about the physical.  I feel like he’s taking advantage of her to satisfy his own needs.  It’s hard for me to keep reading, I seriously want to stop.  I keep thinking about her emotional state after he finishes with her.  He puts her to bed and then leaves her.  He leaves her!  She wakes up the following morning in bed alone.
He doesn’t bother to call and while out on her run she decides to box all his stuff and mail it to him.  He’s officially cut out of her life.  That is the very thing he didn’t want to happen when everything got started.  I can’t really say I blame her.  I don’t like Seb very much.  She ends up on his doorstep to find that he’s expecting someone else.  It’s probably the girl he’s dating.  This guy is a douchebag!!  She lays into him though and he deserves it.  I like how she takes up for herself.  He kisses her to shut her up and it’s a real kiss, not just a “be quiet” kiss.  The problem is the door bell rings and when she answers it there stands the girl he’s seeing.  Nice...

He storms her apartment and lets himself in.  He’s determined to talk to her but she’s not having it.  She goes so far to pretend someone is at her door and when he goes to investigate, she shoves him out the door.  That was funny!  He lets himself back into her apartment.  He plans on talking to her and she’s gonna listen weather she wants to or not.  He tells her he hasn’t been able to think of anything but her. 

“I lost track of time. Lost track of work, lost track of everything besides you. You’ve been the only conscious thought on my mind. The only thing I’ve been able to concentrate on.”

He tells her he stopped thinking about the other girl the second he was with her in her bathroom.  Seb had her come to the apartment to tell her he was in love with his best friend.  He wanted all obstacles out of the way before he talked to her.  He tells her he’s in love with her and that he’s crazy about her and wants to be with her.  She says she loves him to and they make up…

I know it takes a lot to write a book.  I have nothing but respect for the author; I’ve read many things from her.  This book just I don’t know.  The way Seb just took control and didn’t have a care for her feelings at all bothered me.  I understand that he was blindsided by her confession but he shouldn’t have done what he did in that bathroom.  Ugh…I hate that I didn’t like this book because I was looking forward to it and I hate giving negative reviews.  I give it 1 star…that’s all I can give it.  I’m sorry…