Monday, June 24, 2013

My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron

** 3 out of 5 Stars **

**WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD**

Two secrets. 
One bet.
Who will break first?

Taylor Caldwell can't decide if she wants to kiss her new college roommate or punch him.

On the one hand, Hunter Zaccadelli is a handsome, blue-eyed bundle of charm. On the other, he's a tattooed, guitar-playing bundle of bad boy. Maybe that's why Taylor's afraid of falling in love with him, or anyone else. She doesn't want to get burned, so she needs him gone before it's too late.

Hunter himself has been burned before, but Taylor's sexy laugh and refusal to let him get away with anything make her irresistible. Determined not to be kicked out of her life without a fight, Hunter proposes a bet: if she can convince him she truly loves or hates him, he'll leave the apartment--and leave her alone. The problem is, the more time they spend together, the less she hates him, and the more she moves toward love.

But when the man behind Taylor's fear of giving up her heart resurfaces, she has to decide: trust Hunter with her greatest secret, or do everything in her power to win that bet and drive him away forever.

This book has me on the fence.  I loved parts of it and I hated parts of it.  Once I got to about 70% it was awesome.  I loved how it ended.  In the beginning I couldn't stand Taylor.  Even knowing she had a reason to be the way she was, I still couldn't stand her.  She was just plain mean.  I loved the writing style and the book was easy to follow.  I loved Hunter and the supporting characters.  The book took a direction I hadn't read in awhile so I was excited about it.

Taylor (Missy) is really pretty and short.  She’s women’s studies major.  She’s got a mouth on her and an attitude to go with it.  She seems to have a giant stick stuck up her butt most of the time.  She’s got issues that make her angry.  She has night terrors.  She likes Taylor Swift…I’m not sure if I can finish this book.  Gag!

Hunter is tall, dark, sexy and beautiful.  His hair is shaved except for just a little, he has a 5 o’clock shadow, t-shirts he has to peel off at night and tattoos.  Yummy!  He’s cocky and a smart ass.  He can break dance and play guitar.  He’s got a past and it’s a dark one.  He doesn't feel worthy and is under the assumption that anyone he gets close to will leave. He’s going to be a school to be a lawyer.  He has these little quirks that are adorable…like his constant stealing and reading from her e-reader.  He’s engrossed in one of her books on there.
T
he first time Taylor meets Hunter is when he moves in as her new roommate.  Within the first 30 minutes he has checked her out, made a pass at her, and gave her a nickname.  He calls her “Missy”.  She doesn't like him and refuses to sleep in the same room with him.  Her and her other 2 roommates decide to draw names out of a hat to see which girl sleeps in the room.  He draws Taylor’s name…sounds like fate.

He makes a deal with her.  She has until the end of the semester to prove she either love’s him or hate’s him.  Either way, whether it is love or hate, if she can prove it he will leave the apartment and live somewhere else.  She thinks it’s an easy win and he’s gonna be out on his butt but she should know it won’t be that easy.  For some reason she decides to make a point.  I’m still wondering what that point was but she hauls off and hits him in the face and then knees him in the balls.  While he’s holding things in pain she’s screaming at him. 
The first night sleeping in the same room he plays the guitar for her and he has to wake her up because she has night terrors. 

The housing office can’t see her for a week so she’s stuck with him.  He’s playing songs on his guitar for her, cooking her dinner, sitting with her in class.  She’s convinced she’s just getting to know him before she’s makes him leave.  There is no way she’ll let that boy go anywhere.  She’s already in to him more than she wants to admit. 

Time begins to pass and they begin to get along better.  She’s accepted the fact that she wants him but that’s about it.  They fight and then laugh.  He cooks for her…and the entire complex.  He “borrows” her stuff a lot and she is letting him do it more easily.  He makes her a cake “just because”.
Things start to heat up between them and they share a kiss that ends up with a recliner upside down and them rolling on the floor…both still swearing they don’t like each other.  She sleeps in his bed without the sex.  He finally just comes out and tells her he’s into her, he doesn’t want to leave the apartment, and that the bet is still on.

“…I’ll only leave under three conditions. The ball is in your court. I stick to my word. And I don’t want to leave. Leaving means I don’t get to see you all the time, and I don’t want that.”

So things are going pretty good until she finds a check made out to him for $5000 and he goes crazy.  He literally kicks her out of the apartment and locks her out.  He shows up at her friend’s apartment the next morning to apologize with his guitar.  He tells her he couldn't sleep without her in the room and that he’s never had such bad luck in his life.  He needs her in his life and he can’t stand it when she’s not there. 
He finally tells her his secret.  His father shot and killed his mother and then turned the gun on himself.  Hunter saw the whole thing; he tried to save his mother and couldn’t then watched his dad shoot himself.  It explains everything to her, from the nightmares to the temper.  She wants to tell him her’s but she’s scared and he can see it so he doesn’t push her about it.  He tells her he wants to take her on a date and she finally agrees to it. 

We were both broken, trying to become unbroken. Maybe we just needed a little help. Not to fix each other, but to help us fix ourselves.

They start to officially date and I like them together.  When she’s off her high horse she’s not that bad.  I think he’d do anything just to spend time with her.  He takes her to a castle where they pretend to be engaged so they can tour it, he holds her hand, kisses her cheek, makes people take pictures of them together.  He’s really sweet to her. 

She gets a phone call from her sister letting her know that Travis is up for parole.  She goes ballistic, yelling and screaming at Hunter, then going into a daze.  Her sister tells him to get her home and stay there.  He makes arrangements for the other roommates to stay away for the night and takes her home so it’s just the two of them.  He’s trying his best to take care of her but she’s not having it.  She’s actually being really horrible to him.  She keeps saying things like “don’t touch me”.  She goes into a fit and starts to punch, kick and slap him.  He’s standing there taking it even though he hasn't done anything to deserve it.  I know she’s been traumatized but I would have left her but sitting there.  She’s out of control.  When she gets herself under control and surprisingly he’s still there, she finally tells him what happened.

Her sister’s boyfriend came over one night.  Taylor heard the guy beating on her sister and when she went to look she caught him almost raping her. When he saw Taylor watching he ran after her and tried to rape her instead.  Her sister knocked him in the head with a bat and he went to prison.  He doesn't go crazy or try to leave her like she was sure he’d do.  He’s understanding and compassionate.

If breaking things and punching people every now and then helps you, I’ll be your punching bag and we can get you some stuff to throw off the roof. Deal?”

They end up in her bed and he takes her virginity.  He’s sweet about it and he tells her he loves her.  She tells him she loves him too.  So after the fact he tells her the bet has been settled.  The terms where she had to either hate him or love him.  She loves him so now he has to move out.  He’s messing with her and he moves to get up but she grabs him.  He has no intentions of leaving the apartment now, I’m pretty sure he never had any in the first place.

Later after they have announced they are together to everyone he makes a comment about them getting their own apartment.  Big surprise, she doesn't like the idea.  He goes to meet her mother and all goes well.
Once they return home it’s time to deal with the guy who attacked her and his parole.  He’s very supportive and she’s thankful.  The day of the hearing, Hunter takes her for a walk then gives her a playlist he recorded for her and then tells her how much he loves her before she goes in the court house.  She nails her speech, the guy couldn’t even look her in the eye after she finished.  I wanted to stand up and yell for her in that moment.  She has an amazing support system; while the board deliberates she goes to find Hunter since he couldn’t be in there with her.  What she finds is every one of her friends.  They all came to be with her and support her.  She realizes that she doesn’t really care about the outcome.  She’s changed so much since the beginning of the book.  I actually got to see her grow throughout the book.  She’s gone from being hateful and angry to being happy, safe, and secure with Hunter.  When all is said and done parole is denied and the guy that caused everything for her will finish his term. 

In the last chapter he takes her to a house where all of her friends are waiting.  They have all gone behind her back to find this house that they can all rent together.  It won’t be just the two of them for the time being.  He also had his lawyer set up a joint account for them.  He only said that if she hated him or loved him he would leave, he never said anything about taking her with him when he left.

The first half of the book only deserves 1 star in my opinion.  I couldn’t stand Taylor and I almost quit reading it 100 times.  I kept saying, “If I can just make it to 50%,” I try to never quit before that mark.  The last half of the book and Hunter deserve 4 stars so that makes my rating at 3 stars.  It’s a good book if you can get through the first half and if you can tolerate Taylor.  Her behavior is just ridiculous at points.

** TO THE STARS**


My Hunter/Taylor

   

Favorite Quotes

“But I'm your mother. I'll always want to beat the crap out of people who are mean to you.”

“Don't make me punch you again, because I swear to God, I will.”

“Love me?”
 “Nope.”
“Hate me?” 
“More than the DMV.”
 “Oohh, burn.”

“You said you didn’t like me.” “I don’t like you. I don’t like how your hair smells, and how I can’t stop thinking about waking up and seeing your face. I hate how my bed felt empty when you left. I don’t like how good you were with my family, especially Harper, and how I wanted to see you with them again, but not just as a guest. As a member. You’re right. I don’t like you at all.”