Monday, June 10, 2013

Rule by Jay Crownover


** 5 out of 5 Stars **

**WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD** (and a very long review)

Opposites in every way . . . except the one that matters 

Shaw Landon loved Rule Archer from the moment she laid eyes on him. Rule is everything a straight--A pre-med student like Shaw shouldn’t want--and the only person she’s never tried to please. She isn’t afraid of his scary piercings and tattoos or his wild attitude. Though she knows that Rule is wrong for her, her heart just won’t listen.

To a rebel like Rule Archer, Shaw Landon is a stuck-up, perfect princess-and his dead twin brother’s girl. She lives by other people’s rules; he makes his own. He doesn’t have time for a good girl like Shaw-even if she’s the only one who can see the person he truly is.

But a short skirt, too many birthday cocktails, and spilled secrets lead to a night neither can forget. Now, Shaw and Rule have to figure out how a girl like her and a guy like him are supposed to be together without destroying their love . . . or each other.

This book has it all.  A tattoo artist who is tormented and broody.  The proper and rich girl who is a virgin and secretly in love with the bad boy.  The crazy psycho ex who stalks the girl.  The writing style is amazing.  The book does have quite a few editing errors but it doesn’t make it hard to read.  I love this author.  This is probably the 5th or 6th time I’ve read this book but I love it.  I love the emotional roller coaster it takes me on.  It’s easily a 5 star read.

Rule is a tattoo artist who has tattoos everywhere, crazy hair and piercings.  He’s got more problems and issues than should be allowed.  He wakes up with a different girl in his bed every night.  Under all that mess is a genuine guy who has a big heart and has conformed to what his family, his mother, thinks of him.  He’s wild and he’s not the relationship type though.

Shaw is beautiful.  She’s rich and smart but has 2 parents who care nothing about her.  She is Rule’s ally weather he realizes he needs one or not.  She’s also been in love with him since they were kids.  She’s dated in the past but it’s never been serious. 

Rule’s behavior in front of Shaw is horrible.  She picks him up every Sunday for brunch with his parents, who are the closest thing to parents she has as well.  It’s nothing for her to walk in on him with some girl in his bed after a night full of who knows what, hung over and not even knowing the girl’s name beside him.  It kills her every time she sees it but he just doesn’t care.

He’s acting out because of his family.  Rule was a twin and his brother was killed in a car accident because he was on his way to get Rule.  Rule’s mother blames him for his brother’s death.  Shaw is his brother’s “girlfriend” even though she never really was.

On her birthday, she gets dressed up and goes out to a bar.  She gets smashed and Rule runs up on her then takes her to his house because of her state.  She pretty much throws herself at him.  Even though he knows she’s drunk he can’t resist and they end up sleeping together.   He realizes that she a virgin which sends his head into a tailspin.  He’s got questions, like what has she been doing with his brother.  Why she saved it for him?  He’s even more upset when he wakes up in the morning and she’s gone.  She walked out on him.  I find that hilarious seeing as how he walks out on everyone else!

10 days pass and she hasn’t spoken to him, still pretending like it didn’t happen.  He’s had enough and he goes to find her.  He doesn’t call it dating but he tells her he wants to hang out and see what’s going on between them and she agrees.
I’m not going to hide this from anyone Shaw, if you want to play those kind of games maybe you need to rethink whether this is something you really want to do or not.” 
“No, I’m not going to hide, just don’t make me look like an idiot Rule. This matters.”
 “It matters to me too, Casper.”

After “hanging out” for awhile she ends up having to go to a weekend home with her ex.  Rule doesn’t handle this well.  He never gets to see her and she’s taking off with her ex for the weekend home to appease her mother.  He goes into lock down mode and won’t talk to her.  He even ends up kissing another girl at a bar.  When she finds out, she throws her phone and breaks it, effectively making it so he can’t call her when he realizes what a douche bag he’s been.  So he takes off to her mom’s house to fix things with her.  While she is in her room getting ready to leave, her ex comes in and grabs her.  He gets violent and keeps grabbing her but she is too far away in the house and Rule is downstairs with the people at the brunch.  She flies out of the house with Rule in tow.  It’s only after they are pulled over on the side of the road with her hysterical that she tells him what happened.  He’s livid and wants to go back but she won’t let him.

“I was freaking out, I just wanted to escape. I just wanted you.” 
“You have me Shaw, any way you need me, any way you want me, you have me.”

Rule calls a friend who’s a cop and gets a restraining order in place.  Her ex is crazy, like certifiable.  He stalks her throughout the book.  For awhile everything is looking up.  Rule and Shaw are falling in love and learning to live with each other in their lives.  They are trying to work through his issues and doing everything possible to make it work.  Everything looks good in their future until the call comes about his brother’s going away dinner with his parents.

Rule’s mother can’t stand him and she adores Shaw so for that reason neither of them has told her they are together.  They get into it at the table and when Shaw says something about him being her boyfriend, his mother hears it and goes off.  Shaw informs her that she’s been in love with him since she was 13.  That’s big news to both of them but she’s only getting started.

**HUGE SPOILER HERE**

She then goes on to inform the whole table that Rule’s twin brother was gay.  That’s why they were never officially together.  Rule can’t take it and he storms out just leaving her there.  He leaves knowing he will probably never speak to her again and she’s crushed.  They don’t speak for 3 weeks; he has completely shut her out.

She goes home into her apart alone one night and her ex is waiting for her.  He attacks her and almost rapes her.  Rule shows up at the hospital but it doesn’t turn out well. 

“You were right all along; we don’t trust each other enough to ever have had a chance at making this work. I think I wanted it too much and you didn’t want it enough.”

She officially says goodbye to him and their relationship is over.  He walks away from her and she lets him.  He walked away knowing he shouldn’t.  Two weeks later she realizes that she did to him what she’s been accusing him of.  She walked away at the first sign of trouble.  Now she has a choice to make.  Does she let him go or does she fight for him?  Now it’s time for her to crash his birthday party.  I had been on the edge of my seat up until this point.  I was over the moon that she was finally gonna go after him.  Rule had other ideas though so I was surprised.  He goes to her after having a talk with his mom.  She and Ayden are supposed to be at home and he’s not happy with the audience but she turns out to be gone and Shaw answers the door.

I was however willing to pick her up and move her out of my way if she didn’t let me get to my girl.

He tells her how much losing her killed him, how much he needs her and wants her.  He draws a picture of a heart on the palm of her hand and tells her that he’s giving it to her (his actual heart). 
“Here’s my heart Shaw. You have it in your hands and I promise you’re the first and last person to ever touch it. You need to be careful with it because it’s far more fragile than I ever thought and if you try and give it back I’m not taking it.

The book does have an epilogue.  Its 8 months later and she’s lying on Rule’s chair and he’s working on her side.  She’s in the process of getting some huge tattoo on her side.  We learn that they are still going strong, that he’s working on his relationship with his mom, and she’s moving in with him.

I really love this book.  It’s one that I read when I don’t want to start something new and just want something where I already know the outcome.  It still gets me every time.  I still go through all the emotions I felt the first time I read it.  I recommend this book to anyone.  You won’t be sorry you read it!

My Rule/Shaw


Favorite quotes: (besides several of the ones above)

“Because it’s always been you even when I didn’t want it to be, even when it broke my heart over and over again. It’s just always been you.”

“What if I ask you to give me everything Shaw, what if I want it all? Won’t that make me just like all the rest of them?”


“True enough and opposites don’t just attract they freaking catch fire and burn the entire city down.”