Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Bet by Rachel Van Dyken

** 4.5 out of 5 Stars **

WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD!

"I have a proposition for you..."
Kacey should have run the minute those words left Seattle millionaire Jake Titus's mouth. Instead, she made a deal with the devil in hopes of putting her past behind her once and for all.
Four days.
She could do four days!
But she wasn't counting on Jake’s older brother Travis being there to witness their farce of an engagement.
One thing is for certain.
One brother is right for her.
One wants a lifetime.
And one is in league with the devil.
She should have gotten Jake’s signature in blood.


This was great.  It was a short easy read and I loved every second of it.  The writing style was easy to follow.  I fell in love with almost all of the characters.  I got emotionally invested in the story.  I've had this book for awhile and I'm sorry I waited so long to read it.  It was also a very funny book.

Kacey was a strong character.  I loved her instantly   She's been through a tragedy and it was amplified by her best friend.  She lost her parents in a car accident.  She lives in Seattle.  She's beautiful and independent   She's not spoken to her best friend in over two years.

Jake.  I hated this guy with a passion.  He's arrogant, spoiled, and self centered.  He throws his money around so people will see it.  He and Kacey have been best friends since they were small.  He screwed it up big time.  He regrets it but he's too self centered to even make an attempt to fix things.  This is fine because Travis is waiting in the wings.

Travis...oh Travis.  He is Jake's older brother.  He gorgeous   He's been in love with Kacey since he was little.  In normal little boy fashion, he showed her how he felt by throwing rocks at her, tripping her, putting snakes in her sleeping bag and making her cry.  I loved him.  I love that he is insecure even though he's beautiful.  He doesn't know how to show her how he feels.

Jake has messed up and now he needs to fix it.  The only way to do that is to find a girl and start a fake engagement so the media will see him settling down.  He calls Kacey even after no speaking to her in over 2 years.  It's only a weekend and he will pay off her school loans if she will do this for him.  She agrees hoping that she can keep herself in line and praying that his older, meaner brother isn't going to be there.  Her and Travis do not get along at all.  They hate each other, but we all know there is a very thin line between love and hate.  

Arriving at his parents, things get out of hand pretty quickly.  Jake takes off the first night and Travis steps in to be the protector.  They end up getting smashed and watching movies on the couch.  Things get heated and they end up getting caught by his grandmother without many clothes on.  

As Jake continues to be arrogant and think only of himself, Travis continues to rescue her from his brother.  She and Jake slept together in college and that's what ruined the friendship.  He said it was a mistake and then walked out of her life.  Travis doesn't know what exactly happened but he knows he wants her away from his brother, telling her many times she deserves better.

It doesn't take long and the secret is out.  Their grandmother steps in and sends Jake packing and leaving Travis 24 hours to win the girl.  It's not hard since she's already falling for the guy.  He takes her to the restaurant her parents owned, and that she sold after they died.  The couldn't be near it so she sold it.  Travis, knowing how much it meant to her, secretly bought it to keep it for her.  He does things like this a lot.  She finally begins to see that even though he was always mean to her, he's the one who has been taking care of her for years.  She's blown away by this.

They end up sleeping together and it's amazing.  He kind of freaks out because she says she loves him.  He  starts apologizing and locks himself in the bathroom.  She, thinking he is doing the same thing his brother did, runs.  She didn't realize that he only got up because he realized he should have been the first to say I love you and he needed a minute to figure out exactly what to say and how to say it.  

At the airport he manages to get himself removed by force.  Jake happens to be there and while he's talking to her Travis sees it.  A fight breaks out and they end up in a holding room.  Only there does grandma come in a take Kacey home and tells them to fix this mess.  

He comes home and apologizes and then explains why he got up and walked away.  She forgives him and then he proposes and she says yes.

“I love you.” His voice trembled. “You and only you. I love you so much that I can’t breathe.”

That's it.  It's cut and dried, easy to follow.  No real twist or turns.  I loved it.  It reads like Harlequin and if your a fan of Harlequin romance then you know exactly what I mean.  I loved the banter between Kacey and Travis.  They were constantly bringing up things from the past that they had done to torture each other.  It hasn't gotten much better since they grew up if egg in her hair, and egg down his pants while he's straddling her on the floor with spit coming out of his mouth when his parents find them is an indication.  

I loved the grandma.  I wish I had a grandma that cool.  The woman fakes a stroke to moved Kacey and Travis together, has a boyfriend at 85 that she dirty dances with.  The woman was awesome!

I'm giving the book 4.5 stars.  The only problem I had with the book was Jake and it didn't have an epilogue.  I would have loved to read about them married or even a year later.  He'd waited his whole life to be with her and as soon as he officially has her the book ended.  I needed more!

My Travis/Kacey

    


Favorite Quotes


“Holy crap! That tastes like sh—” 
“Sugar!” Jake interrupted with a laugh and cough.

 “Because of you, Kace. Everything I do, everything I've done in my life, it’s all because of you.”



“Where have you been all my life?” she said, watery-eyed. “Home,” Travis answered a note of seriousness in his voice. “I've been home, waiting for you.”


“Well, that’s because I’m using your air. It’s because you’re in my arms. Kacey, I’m never letting you go.”