Thursday, July 11, 2013

Collide by Gail McHugh

**5 out of 5 Intense/Earth Shattering/Heart-Breaking stars**

**WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD**

A missed first encounter…

Colliding with a second chance…

On the heels of graduating college and trying to cope with her mother’s death, Emily Cooper moves to New York City for a fresh start.

While harboring secrets of his own, Dillon Parker takes care of Emily through her grief.  Knowing he can’t live without her by his side, he’s sweet, thoughtful, and everything Emily has ever wanted in a man.

Until she meets Gavin Blake—a rich and notorious playboy who is dangerously sexy and charming as hell.  Emily tries to deny the instant connection she feels, but Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome is not inclined to leg go so easily.  Recovering from his own painful past, Gavin will stop at nothing to win Emily over.

This unexpected encounter compels Emily to question her decisions, forcing her to make a choice that will destroy friendships, shatter hearts, and forever change her life.

I really don't even know where to start.  I didn't read this book when it first came out because I knew I would need the second book before I could even begin this one.  I knew it would leave me feeling like I'm feeling now.  I had read enough reviews to know about the stupid cliffhanger at the end.  I knew what I was in for but I'm still an emotional wreck right now.  Gail McHugh is an amazing writer...simply amazing.  She really knows how to take a girl's emotions and destroy them (in a good way...I think).  The writing style was amazing, I loved the story line, I even didn't mind the love triangle that much.  I loved everything about this book...except how it ended.  I stayed up most of the night and then finished reading this morning.  As I'm writing I want nothing more than to dive straight into Pulse.  I'm warning you now...this review will be filled with quotes, hatred, and love.

Emily just graduated college and lost her mother to breast cancer.  She's moving to NYC to be with her boyfriend Dillon(douchebag) and to start a new life.  She's got red, wavy hair and green eyes, heart shaped face and she's petite.  She's beautiful but doesn't know it.  She's naive and she can't see things as they really are.  Honestly, I hate her.  I put her in the same category as Keira from Thoughtless.  She's stupid.  She's always taking her douchebag boyfriend back over the one who really loves her.  She needs to make up her mind!

Dillon is Emily's boyfriend.  I hate this guy!!  He's a douchebag, a cheater, an abuser, and a number of other things...oh and he apparently thinks he's Superman(right dude, like that's ever going to be true).  He's nice looking with dirty blonde hair and a lean cut.  He's a smooth talker, to bad every word that comes out of his mouth is a lie.  He has something almost violent about him.  He's a snake in the grass.  He's also very possessive, controlling, and overbearing but not in a good way.


Gavin...oh Gavin.  I love him.  If Emily doesn't want him he can bring his broken heart over to my house.  I'll fix him right up ;) He's tall, dark and handsome with inky black hair, chiseled features, toned, wears suits, has icy blue eyes and a tattoo.  What's not to love right?  He's charming, has a killer smile and a smirk(I love guys who smirk).  He owns Blake Industries, he's filthy rich, knows who he wants, and he's persistent   He has the world in his hands but he wants a future with "the one".

Fate and the roads that get placed in front of us. It’s like one huge puzzle that ultimately fits in the end.”

Gavin and Emily meet by chance encounter.  She's delivering food to his office.  He tries to get her number and she shuts him down.  There is an automatic connection between them and he loves her from the minute he lays eyes on her.


Though his father had told him stories about it happening, until that fateful afternoon, Gavin Blake had believed that love at first sight didn't exist.

He has to see her again so he goes to where she works the next day.  There is an intense connection between them...almost like an inferno.  They feel each other when they aren't even together.  It's like 2 souls meeting and connecting and then never letting go.  She does brush him off though she's intrigued.  We then find out that Gavin is actually a very good friend of Dillon's.  This will make things interesting at best.

The night we find out they are friends is also the night we get our first look at exactly what Dillon is really like.  He's a cheater.  He tells Emily that the girl was Gavin's ex.  He had been upstairs messing around with her without anyone being the wiser.  Gavin covers for him because at that time they were friends.  He feels it's his duty even though he's falling for Emily.  

A 4th of July party at Gavin's beach house turns interesting.  Between bottle cap games and cheating boyfriends it's an absolute hoot!  Gavin drives Emily home after she catches Dillon kissing the girl who is supposed to be Gavin's ex.  Not all is lost though since this is when Gavin kisses Emily for the first time.  Later that night Dillon comes in.  All the signs are there but what does Emily do?  She forgives the lying douchebag boyfriend that isn't worthy of her time.  What is it about guys like this?  What is it in their DNA that makes girl just plain stupid with them?  I'll never understand it.

From this point forward bottle-caps become Emily and Gavin's thing.  He gives her one every time he sees her.  She goes to a Yankee's game with Gavin when Dillon lies to her when he stands her up.  It's sweet to see the feelings grow between them.  We find out about his ex, Gina, and why they broke up, that he wants lots of kids, and that he's just plain crazy about her.  She doesn't tell Dillon where she's been.  


Being around her was self-inflicted pain at its finest, but it was something he was willing to endure if for one reason only—just to be close to her.

Her and her friends go to a house party in which she gets plastered, I mean just tore up.  Her best friend , Olivia, who I love, calls her brother and he and Gavin show up.  She ends up dancing with Gavin to 50 Cent's Just a Lil Bit and things get kind of hot.  I had to stop reading and go listen to this song...oh wow.  With the song playing I could picture them dancing and wow I thought my Kindle would catch fire!  HOT, HOT!  Things move upstairs and when he stops it she's angry.  He doesn't want her whens she's drunk and not in someone's house at a party.  He takes them home.  He decides at this point that he's going after her and she'll be his some way some how.

Get ready for this...


Dillon proposes to Emily and she says yes!  What is going on around me?!  Unbelievable!  Gavin is still out to make her his regardless of the engagement.  It doesn't last long.  They are all out one night when Dillon gets into a fight that he blames Emily for.  Outside in the parking lot, he grabs Emily hard and calls her names.  Gavin sees read and punches Dillon, knocking him out cold.  See Dillon is abusive.  This guy is on a downward spiral.  She refuses to take Dillon's calls while he's out of town.  Gavin once again tells her that he's in love with her but she runs only to show up at his apartment.  She's tired of fighting it and so she doesn't anymore.  They spend a hot 24 hours alone in his apartment.  She tells him she loves him and that they are going to be together.  The plan is to tell Dillon together when he gets back in town.  This is what I had waited for.  I knew something would happen though.

After he takes Emily home, Gavin's ex shows up drunk and upset about her father dying.  He knows he shouldn't let her in but he does.  Nothing happens between them but she answers the door in her underwear when Emily shows up to surprise Gavin.  I'm still trying to figure out why her pants were off to begin with, Gavin found her like that after he got out of the shower the night before.  What does Emily do?  She runs...runs from the man who loves her.  He doesn't even know what's going on.  She won't give him a chance to talk to her so he has to wait for her outside her job.  He then finds out that she's taken douchebag back and intends to marry him.  You're probably thinking WHAT?! right now!  Yeah, I was too.  He begs her to tell him she loves him, begs her to forgive him and tries to explain that nothing happened but she's not listening.  He realizes that she's already gone.


“Thank you for the permanent scar,” he whispered, his voice broken and defeated.










He makes one last ditch effort to get her back and when she doesn't take he makes a mess of her rehearsal dinner.  For the record, his toast was just flat out funny.  I laughed and laughed.  This is what happens when a man passes desperation, and heads straight into angry.  Watching the love of your life marrying another man will do that too you.  Dillon and Gavin get into a fight outside.  Right before Gavin walks out of her life for good he flings a bottle cap at her chest and then drives away.

Dillon takes her home and forces her to have sex with him.  Yeah, now he's not only a douchebag but a rapist.  I HATE THIS GUY!!!  Emily finally sees the light and leaves him to go after Gavin.

And that...is where to book ended! STUPID CLIFFHANGER!!!


So yeah, I'm not really happy right now but I do have the 2nd book which I'll be starting in a minutes so it's ok.  As bad as I wanted to give this book 1 star because of the cliffhanger I calmed down and gave it the 5 it deserves...begrudgingly but still.  I recommend this book to everyone though you should prepare yourself for the ending.  My recommendation would be to have book 2 on hand so you don't put a hole through the wall or something:)

My Gavin/Emily/Dillon
  

Favorites Quotes:

“Sometimes bad choices bring us to the right people, Emily.”

“D*** it, Emily. I want us! You belong with me, not him.” He half snarled the declaration. 
“Every part of you was made for me. Your lips were made to kiss mine, your eyes were made to wake up to me looking at you in my bed every morning, and your tongue was made to roll my name off of it. I am more certain of us than I’m certain that I require oxygen to breathe.”

“You’re my weakness, Emily,”

“I've never felt so heartbroken and so in love at the same time. If you would've told me the day we met that you were going to break my heart— and that days, months, or even years would pass, that I would still be hurting like this—it wouldn't have stopped me from falling in love with you,”

“Here’s to bottle caps, the Yankees and ‘birds..."

Collide is book one in the Collide series.  Book 2, Pulse is now available!  Review to come!