Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Him by Carey Heywood

** 2 out of 5 Stars **

**WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD**

Him.

Sarah Miller hasn't been home in seven years.  She thought she could stay away forever.  If it wasn't for her big brother’s wedding that is.  Part of her even feels silly for staying away this long.   It’s not like anyone even knew what happened.  Well, except for him.


That guy.  The one she compared all others to.  The one who set the bar so high no other guy after him could even compete.  The one who made her feel like anything was possible.  The one she thought she would never be good enough for.  The one she spent the last seven years trying to forget.  All she needs to do is make it through the next week without running into him.

I'm not one to normally give bad reviews.  I tend to rate everything highly.  I simply can't do this with this book.  I hate that I feel that way.  For me this book was missing so much.  This review will look different from my others simply because so much was missing.  The writing style was good.  I liked the concept but I just didn't really like the way it was executed.  There were too many flash backs.  It was to the point where I wasn't sure what they had to do with the story itself.  For the most part though, the flash backs were what kept me reading.  I got to see them as a couple because you definitely couldn't see it in present day.  The book was for a better word...flat.

Sarah...I can't give a description for her other than people called her "SPT" (Sarah Plain and Tall) in the flashbacks.  The only thing I know for sure about her is that she's a runner when it comes to Will.  She owns her own business and uses work as a substitute for the man she's loved since 7th grade.

Will always saw Sarah as his best friend until he realized he was in love with her.  He's the nicest looking guy in school and he's head over heels for Sarah.  He spends 7 years being in love with the girl who walked away from him without knowing why.

Sarah is going home for her brother's wedding.  She hasn't been back since the night she ran 7 years ago.  She's been avoiding Will, her best friend and ex boyfriend.  They end up on the same plane going home.  She avoids him and is just plain mean to him when she finds out he's still close to her family and the best man in the wedding.  He keeps trying to get her to talk to him.  He wants to know why she left and she won't tell him.

Through flashbacks we see their friendship through their relationship.  We find out how they got together, the first time they took it to the next level, the love they have for each other, and why she ran.  His ex girlfriend (the girl he broke up with for Sarah) shows Sarah a text sent to her from Will.  He's glad she's going to Italy with him and he's breaking up with Sarah before he leaves.  She takes off without asking him about it.  She doesn't give him time to explain or anything, just up and moves to New Jersey the next day.

When he finally gets her to talk to him we find out that he knew nothing of the text message and the girl didn't actually go to Italy with just him but her parents.  He really was in love with her and it broke his heart when she left.  He's spent 7 years waiting for her.  The actual reason she left is because of his mother.  His mother told her if she didn't leave him alone that they wouldn't pay for his college.  

He forgives her and they pretty much pick up where they left off.  He tells her he loves her and always has and that he's not letting her get away this time.  He wants her to move home and since she can't right away he goes home with her for the summer.

What was with the ending?  I get that there is going to be a second book but I don't really see the point.  It's not a cliffhanger per se but nothing was finished.  The book just literally stops.  Very strange.  I just wasn't satisfied with this book at all.  There was very little intimacy between them as adults and serious communication problems.  I am giving it 2 stars because I know how hard an author works and because I enjoyed most of the flashbacks.  I'm not sure I'll read the books sequel but it's doubtful.

I want to say i'm sorry to the author.  I HATE giving negative reviews...hate it!  I really wish the outcome was different but i'm being 100% honest about this book.  I'm sorry!

My Will/Sarah

**No pics because I have no description

Favorite Quotes:

"...I feel like I've been sleep walking for the last seven years, and then I saw you on the plane, and it was like I was awake again."

"Thank you for taking care of my girl. All I plan to do is spend the rest of my life making her smile."