Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Unbreak Me by Lexi Ryan

** 5 out of 5 Amazing/Heartbreaking/Shattered Stars **

**WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD**

“If you’re broken, I’ll fix you…”

I’m only twenty one and already damaged goods.  A slut.  A failure.  A disappointment to my picture perfect family as long as I can remember.  I called off my wedding to William Bailey, the only man who thought I was worth fixing.  A year later, he’s marrying my sister.  Unless I ask him not to…

“If you shatter, I’ll find you…”

But now there’s Asher Logan, a broken man who sees the fractures in my facade and doesn't want to fix me at all.  Asher wants me to stop hiding, to stop pretending.  Asher wants to break down my walls.  But that means letting him see my ugly secrets and forgiving him for his.

With my past weighing down on me, do I want the man who holds me together or the man who gives me permission to break?

One man wants to fix her...One man wants to pick up the pieces once she shatters.

Just amazing!  This book was wonderful.  Putting it down just wasn't an option.  Once I began I had to know how it ended.  It's a love story and a love triangle...but not really.  You'll understand when you read it.  I loved the story line.  There was so much going on.  I got to see some serious character growth from both the hero and the heroine...especially the heroine.  The writing style was amazing.  I can't remember a single part of the book that dragged.  It had me engrossed from page one.


Maggie has been through so much in her life.  She lives in a town where people call her names and she has a horrible reputation.  She's been to hell and back.  She's a lost soul hiding a huge secret that is slowly tearing her apart.  Aside from all that she's strong, she puts herself out there but always holds part of herself back. The black sheep of her family, she's never really had anyone she can depend on except for Will. She's pretty with long red hair and green eyes, not flashy at all and down to earth.

Asher is a sexy bad boy with tattoos and piercings.  He has dark, messy hair, wolf like eyes and he's a freakin rockstar!  He lives next door to Maggie's mother.  He had a bad childhood and is on probation for assault.  He's hiding secrets.  He's sees Maggie for who she is.  He doesn't think she needs to be fixed.

Will is Maggie's ex fiance.  He is marrying her sister a year after Maggie left him.  He's still in love with Maggie and he'd take her back in a heartbeat.  He knows she's broken and he's willing to fix her.  He beautiful with blonde, messy hair and his aire of confidence.  He is an addict and Maggie is his addiction.

Maggie has been gone for a year.  She called off her wedding to Will and left town in a hurry.  Now she's back to watch Will marry her sister.  Seriously?  Who does that?  What sister does that?  That takes mean to a whole other level!  Maggie pretends she's ok with it when she's obviously not.  The thing is Will is still in love with Maggie.  He wants to be with her.  He would call off the wedding if she asked him to.

Maggie meets Asher at the wedding.  She's intrigued and he saves her from an awkward situation with Will.  She wants him but he refuses to sleep with her while she's stuck on another man.  She tries several times but he keeps pushing to get to know her and eventually she kind of starts dating him, while she's still hung up on Will.  She and Asher have met before but neither know where.  

Maggie has a big secret.  She wakes up to the sound of a baby crying and rushes for it only to realize there is no baby.  She had a miscarriage and that's how she met Asher.  He is the one who took her to the hospital, he found her on the riverbank bleeding.  

Through the first half of the book I couldn't figure out how exactly that Maggie was going to fall for Asher when she was so hung up on Will.  Will and Maggie have a strong connection.  He goes so far as to break up with her sister for her.  Slowly though, I began to see her fall for Asher.  The things that Will said and did didn't matter as much to her anymore.  I felt sorry for Will.  I think he's horrible for being engaged to her sister but I felt for him.  He worships Maggie and wants nothing more than to be the one she needs.  

Secrets start to come to light.  Maggie was raped at 15 by her father's best friend.  The town loved the man. He told everyone it was consensual and it caused him to divorce.  The town blamed Maggie...the entire town.  She was 15 years old!  Her father has a heart attack the same year and dies blaming Maggie.  

She has a year long affair with her married art professor.  She becomes pregnant and gets engaged to Will and doesn't tell him the baby isn't his even though he already knows.  She doesn't actually have a miscarriage and lets Will think she does before cancelling their wedding and taking off.  She put the baby up for adoption.  

Asher's reaction to all of this is amazing.  He tells her that she isn't broken.  She doesn't need to be fixed.

“Don’t be afraid to break, Maggie. Stop holding on to the ugliness just to stay whole.”

“What if no one can fix me?” 
“You don’t need fixing.”
“It’s like your mosaics. The beauty is already there, you just find it. Let go, sweetheart.” 
“I’m afraid I’ll shatter.”
“If you shatter, I’ll find you.”

Asher has secrets too.  He is married but in the process of trying to get a divorce.  He caught his wife with another man and beat him half to death.  He's on probation for assault.  His wife lives with the man he caught her with.  He has a daughter that he is only allowed to see one week a month.  One week a month even though he pays for the house the woman lives in and everything.  (**Side note:  I hate women like this!  If you have a child with a man and he's not worthless and wants to be in his child's life...let him!  Seriously, what is the deal with that.  Letting every other man in your life play daddy is doing damage to the kid!  Be a woman and let the man be with his child!  I just don't understand how a woman can keep a child from it's father when he's the one paying for HER upkeep and her bills plus paying everything for his child.  Sorry...my opinion...had to put it out there.)  

At this point in the book, she's completely in love with Asher and he with her.  He wants a future with her.  Will tells Maggie that he wants to start over with her but she tells him she's in love with Asher.  She's at a bar one night when a townie says some things to her and tries to take advantage of her when Asher steps in.  He's arrested because of the fight meaning if convicted he's violated his probation is is going to jail.  She's heartbroken but he doesn't care.  He sends her a text message from the back of the police car.

I love you. No regrets.

Nothing comes of it and he's released but then she finds out he's married a few days later when she shows up early to his house and finds his wife in his bed waiting for him.  He tries to explain that he's in love with her and his marriage is and has been over (he didn't know anything about the other woman being at his house).  She leaves him and tells him she won't be the other woman anymore.  He leaves town and texts her and tells her he's officially no longer married.  That's all she needed from him so they get back together.

The epilogue...8 months later. 

He's own stage after recording a new album and is starting a tour.  He's written a song about her called Unbreak me.  After he sings, he tells her he loves her.

Don’t be afraid to shatter, baby, if that will set you free. 
I’ll find you in the pieces and that will unbreak me.

The only thing and I mean the only thing more I wanted from this book was to see them maybe 5 or 10 years down the road.  The epilogue wasn't what I wanted and I needed more.  Other than that this book is perfect!  I loved every second of it.  I love how Asher never gave up on her.  I love how she finally realized she was worth it.  I love the way he loved her!  I give this one 5 stars...it's the best book I've read in awhile and Asher and Maggie will be with me awhile.  I recommend this book to anyone.  Read it, you won't be disappointed!


My Asher/Maggie/Will
   


Favorite Quotes:

“If you’re broken, I’ll fix you.”

“My aura can’t help it, Gran. It feels fat in anything but black.”

“I keep waiting for you to stop showing up,” I say.  “To give up on me.” 
“Do you want me to give up? Because I saw the way he was looking at you last week, Maggie. If you want him, he’s yours.”  
“And what if I want you?” I ask softly. 
“I’m here, aren't I?”

I wonder if this might be the moment she breaks. What does it say about me that I want her to? I want her to break so I can find her in the pieces, just like she does with her mosaics.

Asher is holding me so tightly it almost hurts, but it’s the good kind of hurt. It’s a pain that reminds me I’m alive and I’m worth something.