Friday, August 2, 2013

Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

**4 out of 5 Amazing Stars **

**WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD**

Hardships and heartache brought them together...now it will tear them apart.

Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will's past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built.  Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge...how to prove his love for a girl who refuses to stop ' carving pumpkins.'

MY REVIEW...

I am always a little worried when I begin reading a sequel.  This book did not disappoint.  It started out a little slow but once it picked up I couldn't stop reading.  I read it straight through in one sitting.  I loved it!   Will is amazing and he'll stop at nothing to make sure she understands how much he loves her.  Things are tough for them but he's determined to make it work.  This book is done in Will's POV which I loved.  There is a huge twist at the end.  I didn't know what was coming but I felt it.  I cried and cried and cried.  This book took my emotions and destroyed them.  I would be happy, then sad, then mad, then destroyed, then over the moon.  Lake got on my nerves a bit.  I wanted to yell at her at times.  There are some great supporting characters that we get to meet in this book.  Kiersten was a favorite.  The girl is 11 years old but she should be 25.  I loved her.  This was an amazing sequel.  I can't wait to start "This Girl".

"Sometimes two people have to fall apart, to realize how much they need to fall back together."

BOOK SUMMARY...

1.  Butterfly is the word used by everyone instead of cuss words.  It's pretty funny to read at times
2.  Suck and Sweet is a game played around the dinner table.  You tell what sucked about your day and            what was sweet about your day.

This book picks up about a year where Slammed left off.  Lake and Will have been together for a little over a year.  They are trying to have as much of a normal life as possible raising their brothers.  They still don't live together and because of a promise they made to her mother before she died they still haven't slept together.  When they get close to taking it to the next step some one always calls retreat.  Lake refers to this as "The Point of Retreat."


On their first date in month he gives her a gift that her mom left for both of them to open alone and together.  It's a vase filled with little stars.  On each piece of paper is a quote, lyric, or advise to help them stay encouraged with each other.  When things are tough they are to open a star but only when they really need too.  This is a big deal throughout the book.






Love is the most beautiful thing in the world.  Unfortunately, it's also one of the hardest things in the world to hold on to, and one of the easiest things to throw away.

When Will begins his first day at school he comes face to face with his ex girlfriend Vaughn.  I hate this girl.  She's happy to see him but he's not happy to see her.  He makes the decision not to tell Lake about her being in his class.  I can understand his reasoning, he didn't want to hurt her or make her worry since he feels nothing for this girl but he should have told her.  For two weeks he keeps this secret, even when it becomes apparent that Vaughn wants him back.  Things at home are perfect.  Will and Lake are planning a trip away for a long weekend and counting down the time to leave.  It's gonna be a big weekend because the promise they made her mom is officially up.  They can finally be together in every sense of the relationship.  The night they are set to leave Vaughn shows up at his house.  She refuses to leave unless he talks to her so he takes her to his bedroom of all places.  This chick actually has the nerve to tell him that he owes it to Lake to see if his heart is really into it, he owes it to Lake to see if he and Vaughn can make it work again!  Well she begins crying and he hugs her and kisses her forehead only to be seen from the doorway by Lake.  She runs from the house and he chases her trying to explain it but she's not hearing it and she locks him out of her house.  His entire world crashes down around him.

Oh and Vaughn...this is for you!



He starts his plight to talk to her.  He's terrified he's lost her over someone who means nothing to him.  He's desperate so he talks Kiersten into helping him get to her.  He gets the girl to knock on the door and he barges in.  It doesn't end well and he goes home.  They talk when she comes to steal the vase with the stars but when he won't sleep with her she gets angry.  He doesn't want to because he doesn't want it to be like that the first time but all she can see is that he had the only girl he's ever slept with in his bedroom hugging her and he still refuses to sleep with her.  She breaks up with him and leaves.  She says he needs time to see if what Vaughn said about them is true.  Here is where is all comes down too.  Vaughn tried to convince him that he loves her because he has too.  Their situation is what brings them together.  It's not true but Lake is determined to carve some pumpkins.

This is how I was feeling while all the "not forgiving" was going on...







For the record this goes on for way, way to long.  He tries everything to get her to talk to him but she's just not gonna do it.  He disconnects her battery so she has to ride with him, he tries to keep the stars so she has to go over there and get them, he tries everything.  She just keeps letting it go on and eventually tells him he needs to think about the reasons they really are together and cuts off all contact with the poor guy.  He's miserable and desperate.  I mean he didn't really even do anything wrong aside from not telling her.  She needed to let this go before she did.  Lake got on my nerves bad here.  I just wanted to slap her and say "Get over it!".  Will loves her to the point of insanity and she's too wrapped up in her own little world to see it.

"A guy can tell a girl he's in love with her until he's blue in the face.  Words don't mean anything to a woman when her head's full of doubt.  You have to show her."

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  He gains the help of all of their friends plus Kel, Caulder, and Kiersten.  They are to get her to the club where he does his slam poetry.  Once she's in a booth they are to lock her in and not let her out.  Eddie is to take her purse and keys so she can't leave.  Once he's on stage she tries to leave but they won't let her up.  Once she's finished not escaping he asks her if she's done running and tells her he's got something to tell her.  His slam is amazing and it had me bawling like a baby.  He's got items with him from their relationship.  Receipts and stuff like that.  It's stuff she doesn't know he's kept.  With these things and his words he shows her exactly what she means to him.  When he leaves the stage she's gone.  Once he reaches the parking lot she throws herself at him and apologizes over and over again.  They make up and things are great again.

"The way you watched this stage with passion in your eyes...I'll never forget that moment.  It's the moment I knew it was too late.  I was too far gone by then.  I was in love with you.  I was in love with you because of you."

I developed a really, really bad feeling here.  Something in my gut told me something devastating was coming but I tried to ignore it.  With over 30% of the book left I was really hoping for a long drawn out road to redemption but that's not what I got.



They are all on the way home.  The girls are in the front vehicle and the boys in the other one following behind.  A truck crosses the center line and hits Lake's car while the boys can only watch helplessly.  Everyone is for the most part ok minus a few broken bones and some cuts and bruises...except Lake.  Once they get to the hospital Will is frantic but he can't find out anything other than she's in surgery.  After finally talking to a doctor hours later and finding out she's got a bad head injury and they've induced a coma he finally breaks down.  I cried here too.  Ok I cried through most of the end of this book...don't judge me!  Once she's moved to ICU he ignores visiting hours and walks right in and climbs in bed with her and falls asleep.  After that he doesn't leave her until she wakes up.  When she does wake up she's calling for him.  She's going to be ok and she's released from the hospital 5 days later.  He takes such good care of her, even cutting his hair to match her bald spot when she gets upset about hers.

I've learned something about my heart.
It can break.
It can be ripped apart.
It can harden and freeze.
It can stop.  Completely.
It can shatter into a million pieces.
It can explode.
It can die.

The only thing that made it start beating again?  The moment you opened your eyes.

He proposes and they get married 2 weeks later.  She's moving into his house and Eddie and Gavin will be staying in hers.  They go on their honeymoon and finally no one calls retreat.

MY RATING...

I gave this book 4 out of 5 because she stayed mad way too long.  I was almost to the point of angry having passed bored much earlier when she finally let it go.  This book is filled with angsty situations.  It had me crying and laughing and then crying again.  Over all it was a great book.  I recommend you read this book.  Seriously read it.  My only warning is that you read Slammed first.

Favorite Quotes:

My heart pounds against my chest.  Not because I'm nervous.  Not even because I want her worse than I've ever wanted her before.  It's pounding against my chest because I realize I've never been so sure about the rest of my life than I am in this moment.  This girl is the rest of my life.


This book is book 2 in the Slammed series.  I suggest that you read Slammed before this one.  Review for book 3 coming soon...