Monday, September 9, 2013

Wethering the Storm by Samantha Towle

Wethering the Storm (The Storm, #2)** 5 out of 5 Amazing Jake Wethers Stars **

**WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD**

Music journalist Tru Bennett has done  the impossible:  capture the heart of rock-star bad boy Jake Wethers.  Now they're busy planning a wedding and navigating their new life together in the US.  Of course Tru misses London and her best friend, Simone, but living happily ever after with Jake in LA is going to be great...right?

Wrong.  Even the bright California sun can't whitewash the dark side of celebrity coupledom.  Greedy music execs, merciless paparazzi, and Jake's wild past are lurking around every corner.  Making matters worse, Jake announces he doesn't want kids, which just may be a deal breaker.

Tru loves Jake more than anything.  But when a devastating crisis threatens to destroy everything they've fought for, the couple must face the hard truth:  What if, this time, love is not enough?







MY REVIEW...



This book DESTROYED me!  But in such a good way!  Samantha Towle is an amazing author.  I was worried before I began reading.  I didn't see how she could ever top The Mighty Storm...it just didn't seem possible.  I was wrong and the second book was just as good.  I may have even loved it more.  I needed my Jake fix and I got it in spades.  The book is written in dual POV and the story begins a few days after Jake's proposal.  I'm not gonna lie...Tru did get on my nerves in the beginning.  I resumed my "I wanna slap Tru" party early on in the book but she wasn't as bad as she was in TMS.  Jake is still Jake...amazing only he's tamed his bad boy ways a bit.  There is a lot of sex in this book and it's just as hot as the previous book. This book sent me through so many emotions.  I laughed (hard), I got mad, I yelled, I was excited, happy and then the book destroyed me.  I cried buckets.  I even had to stop reading and walk away at one point.  That huge thing that happens in the book everyone is talking about is a doozie!  But once I decided to get out of the floor and out of the fetal position (joke...kind of) Mrs. Towle managed to put my emotions back together again and then bring everything home.  All in all  Wethering the Storm is an amazing book and it's one that will stay with me for a long, long time!



BOOK SUMMARY...

"There is no one else for me.  I begin and end with you." --Jake Wethers

So WTS picks up a few days after the conclusion of TMS.  Jake and Tru are on holiday on a private island celebrating their engagement.  After the press got wind of their engagement, they left town to get away from the chaos.  While on the island, Jake proposes to her again in the way he always wanted to and it's super sweet.  Everything is perfect until she mentions kids and then things become tense.  Jake drops a bomb on her...



HE DOESN'T WANT KIDS!

Jake doesn't want kids.  And I do.  This puts us on very different pages.

To say she's devastated is an understatement.  It's almost a deal breaker.  She sidelines the issue for the remaining time on the island.  Once home, things don't get a lot better.  She has issues with his house.  She refuses to make love to him in that house.  She can't get past the amount of women he has brought into it in his past.  Yes, she's still freaking out about it.  (This was where I wanted to punch her in the face).  Jake being the amazing man he is does what he does best.  He'll do anything to keep her happy.  He refuses to lose her again.  So what does he do?  He buys her a 30 million dollar house.  While he's being sweet and trying to do any and everything to please the woman he's head over hills for, she's busy checking to see if he's on drugs again.



The groupies are another issue for her...surprise, surprise.  She overhears a conversation between  some girls in the bathroom at a show they go to.  They are making fun of her, saying she's not good enough, and talking about sleeping with him in the past.  When she comes out of the bathroom he's talking to a girl and she gets angry.  That anger leads her to dance with a guy she knows from back home and Jake losing his cool.  He pushes the guy around and then they get into it but it smooths over pretty quickly.


"I don't want to lose you because of who I used to be."

 He gets a tattoo not long after while out with the boys that says "Tru Love".  Here is another example of what she means to him and her not seeing it.  She did love the tattoo though.

Jake doesn't want kids so when she misses a period she freaks out.  She finds out she's pregnant and pretty much looses it.  She's worried he will leave her.  When she tells him he panics and takes off leaving her alone.  While he's trying to get his head on straight and deal with his fears, she's packing her bags, leaving her ring on his pillow and heading to LAX.  Way to jump the gun there Tru!  He didn't leave because he didn't want her or the baby, he left because he's scared he'll be a bad father.  He gets a call that she left and he takes off after her.  There is no way he's losing her again.  He gets to the airport where she causes a scene but he manages to get her in the car.  Once back home he explains why he left and she forgives him.  I was glad this didn't stretch out.  Things are perfect between them for several months while they are both getting ready for the baby and just enjoying her pregnancy.



HUGE BOMB IS ABOUT TO DROP (You know the happiness couldn't last forever.)
This is the "Big Moment" or spoiler that no one will talk about in the reviews but since spoilers are what I do best since I hate not knowing what I'm getting into before reading...here it is.

Tru, her best friend Simone and Dave (the bodyguard) are hit by a drunk driver.  The car accident killed the other driver instantly.  Dave and Simone are hurt but not seriously.  Tru wasn't so lucky.  When Jake gets word of what's happened he pretty much collapses.  He's seeing the same thing he saw with Jonny only its so much worse because it's the love of his life and his child involved.  When he gets to the hospital she's in surgery.  She has a severe head injury and they don't know if she will make it or not.  They had to perform an emergency C-section because the baby was in distress.  Baby Boy Wethers is brought into the world early but other than being preemie and having a little bit of trouble breathing on his own he is going to be fine. Jake is devastated when he hears that Tru could die and he's just plain pitiful.  I cried and cried (This is the point I had to walk away).

"I can't lose her."  I can't breathe.  I'm gasping for air.  "Not her.  Anyone but her."

How do you live when your life dies?

Reading about Jake Wethers crying over everything he has worked for and everything he stands to loose is not something that is easily done.  He broke my heart.

 He never leaves Tru or the baby side.  He's already an amazing dad and doesn't realize it yet.  Tru is in a coma for 7 days.  When she finally wakes up she has no brain damage and finally gets to meet her son for the first time.  They name him Jonathan Jacob.  She is in the hospital for 2 months and then they finally get to go home.

Jake plans their wedding at Lumb falls (their special place) without her knowing it.  He wants to surprise her.  They finally get married.  It seems like it took me as the reader forever to get there.  It was a long time coming and I was so glad when it finally happened.  Tru grew up a lot as well though out the book.

"It still stands, Tru.  It will always stand.  My love for you is limitless, it knows no bounds.  You're in my veins.  I bleed you.  I belong to you...I always have and I always will.  You will always be my June, Tru."

The epilogue takes place awhile later.  Tru is pregnant with their second child, another boy and Jake is the perfect husband and father to them.

Here are a few highlights of my favorite parts...

The proposal
His song to her
The entire conversation on sex at her OB doctor
The first time he sees his baby
Jonathan Jacob (JJ)
The wedding

MY RATING...

WTS is an easy 5 Stars...it deserves more!  I did everything I love.  I took me for a wild ride.  I enjoyed the conclusion to their story and I look forward to reading the stories of the other characters.  Read this book!  I would recommend that you read TMS first so you can understand the depth of the love they have for each other.

Favorite Quotes...

"You don't complete me, Tru.  You make me who I am.  You make me better.  I'd be nothing without you.  Nothing.  I've been there once before, and I'm never going back.  I'm never losing you again."


THIS IS BOOK 2 IN A SERIES.  I WOULD RECOMMEND READING THE MIGHTY STORM FIRST.

 Wethering the Storm (The Storm, #2)