Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan

** 5 out of 5 Stars **

**WARNING:  SPOILERS AHEAD!  If you don't like spoilers then please don't read any farther.  This is a spoiler blog.**

When Bree Prescott arrives in the sleepy, lakeside town of Pelion, Maine, she hopes that this is the place where she will finally find the peace she so desperately seeks.  On her first day there, her life collides with Archer Hale, an isolated man who holds a secret agony of his won.  A man no one else sees.

Archer's voice is a story of a woman chained to the memory of one horrifying night and the man whose love is the key to her freedom.  It is the story of a silent man who lives with an excruciating wound and the woman who helps him find his voice.  It is the story of suffering, fate, and the transformative power of love.



MY REVIEW...

Whew...what a story.  First let me say it was nothing like I expected.  I love Mia Sheridan's writing.  I haven't found a book she's written yet that I didn't fall in love with.  This book was no exception.  I was drawn in from the beginning.  This is one of those books where you want to hurry up and slow down at the same time.  You want to know what happened to Archer but yet you also need the connection between these to.  This wasn't a quick, insta-love romance.  They are both battered and broken and the romance had to develop, which I love.  I fell for Archer and Bree.  I hurt when they hurt and I teared up a few times.  It's an emotional journey into the depth of pain and darkness and how the characters cope with a tragic past while trying to decide if love is worth the risk.

Things I loved:

  1. Archer!!  Even battered and broken he was perfect
  2. The angle of the story...you'll understand when you read it.
Things that didn't work for me:
  1. I couldn't stand Travis...something about him rubbed me wrong.
  2. The people in town and the way Archer was treated.
Take a chance on this one.  It's worth the risk.  You'll be hooked in no time and it will leave you feeling I don't know, almost healed I think.  

BOOK SUMMARY (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Archer is a tormented and quiet soul.  By quiet I mean that he can't speak.  He isn't deaf but due to a tragic accident as a child he can no longer talk.  He's a loner with no one.  He doesn't socialize in town, he has no friends.  He looks ragged in the beginning.  He is beautiful but has no experience with the outside would let alone the female population.  He isn't your typical alpha male but I loved him all the same.

Bree was a great heroine.  She's everything that Archer needed.  I loved her spirit and how determined she was to help him heal.  She knew who she wanted and went after him.  She's strong but running at the same time.  She left her hometown to get away from a tragic death and is trying to find herself again.

The book begins as Bree arrives in town.  She rents a house from a nice couple and starts her "break".  She meets Archer almost immediately when he helps her with her things when she drops her bag.  He doesn't speak to her and walks away.  Intrigued she begins asking around about him.  We learn that he sticks to himself and lives alone.  He's a bit of a hermit.  He lost his parents and uncle when he was 7 and was raised by another uncle who was...different.  Another chance meeting begins a cautious friendship that develops more over time.  This isn't a quick love story.  He's very cautious and has no social skills at all.  They communicate using ASL which she knows because her father couldn't hear.  He learned it from a book.

Over time she becomes his first...his first kiss, the first woman he makes love to, the first person who he has let in and allowed himself to love.  There are some other things going on.  We see flashbacks up to the point he lost his parents.  He goes from being shaggy looking to cutting his hair and shaving wanting her to see him since he can't talk to her.  We watch them slowly fall in love.  We also watch the secrets begin to come out...his and hers.

"I'm afraid to love you.  I'm afraid that you'll leave and that I'll go back to being alone again.  Only it will be a hundred times worse because I'll know what I'm missing.  I can't...I want to be able to love you more than i fear losing you, and I don't know how.  Teach me, Bree.  Please teach me.  Don't let me destroy this."

She is running because her father was murdered while she watched.  The guy then attempted to rape her but the cops showed up and he ran.  He's never been captured.  His mother was killed when his father ran them and his uncle off the road.  His mother and his uncle (father's brother) had always been in love.  They were trying to take Archer and leave.  His uncle turns out to actually be his father.  Archer is shot by his "dad" while his father holds him and then his "dad" kills his father.  I know that it is confusing but I couldn't think of another way to explain it :).  He hasn't spoken since.

Archer's cousin, whose name I can't remember, wants Bree.  They went on one date in the beginning but when she decided she wanted Archer she didn't see him again.  His cousin goes out of his way to try and destroy the budding relationship.  He takes him to a strip club and tries to get him to sleep with a stripper.  It almost happens but he realizes it feels wrong and leaves.  His cousin then tries creating doubt about Archer's worth to seperate them.  Archer's cousin is actually his brother since Archer's uncle turned out to be his father.

Bree lets the beans spill when Archer gets in a fight with him in the middle of the street.  Archer walks away from her and leaves town.  His reasoning is that he needs to find himself.  He needs to learn if he can live in the world on his own.  He's gone for three months.  She's miserable and doesn't hear a word from him.  He comes back on New Years Eve and they talk.  He promises to never leave her again and they begin again.

Nothing else major happens until the end when the guy who killed her father shows up and is going to shoot Bree.  He shoots Archer instead when he throws himself in front of her.  He's in a coma for 3 weeks but finally comes back to her.

The epilogue occurs 5 years later.  They are happily married with twin boys and another on the way.  He's accepted by the town also.

This was a great book.  I couldn't put it down.  Check this one out.  I would recommend it to anyone no matter what genre you're into.  Awesome job Mia Sheridan once again!

My Archer/Bree